Monday, September 14, 2009

UC can be problematic

Its good to make plans but the follow through is even more important. Fear and anxiety have taken hold during my away time and money is a problem. My latest glitch with Unemployment Compensation is causing me huge money issues. That has caused some depression so I have been "licking my wounds" so to speak but listening to motivational materials to turn things around in my head.

Let me explain, so you can see the pitfalls. Back in June, when they stopped paying to "investigate" whether I should be paid during the summer (after working in a school). I got to leave home and stay at my sisters where she provided room and board (plus visiting with her and my nieces and even some fancy dinners). That was like vacation. By the time I came back they had "caught up" with my claim checks so I could handle the bills.

During the process of the "investigation" I had asked about the extension and was told it was automatically approved. I asked if I should do anything to expedite it and was assured there was nothing to do. What I didn't realize was since I had worked as a temp my weeks of compensation were not coming out even. The extension would not be processed till the existing claim was exhausted. They would never pay the end of that week to me!

Imagine my surprise when I opened my bank account to discover I had been given almost $300 less than I expected. Then the really tragic part started with auto withdrawals and checks that were outstanding. The more that came in, the deeper that hole got. Thank goodness my credit union covered those payment. Kudos to Summit Credit Union for keeping this from being worse!

So now I'm struggling to catch up with the bills that went unpaid in the time frame that I usually pay them. The problem with operating on a shoestring is no margin for error.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home