Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meetup Milwauke Area Job Hunters Group

An enthusiastic bunch warmly greeted the speakers. Deb Lein from People PowerLLC was promoting a program to enhance resumes & help you find the "hidden jobs" (many jobs never see the "open" market but are filled by friends and friends of friends). It would be interesting to obtain the self study CD's at some point. They will assist Resume Workshop on 2-26.

The speaker from Dale Carnegie offered a memory enhancement technique for interviewing with 9 steps I bet we can remember even today. We visualized pictures flowing one to the next of building blocks with C's, flowers, wanted poster, bearer bond, smiley face, nameplate, headphones, microphone, & crates with import on them. These all represent steps in an interview to allow the candidate to stand out.

The final speaker was Vic Thomas Associate Director of Entertainment & Ethnic World Festivals. While his presentation was not for the main group I was enthralled with his overview and took time to speak with him after the meeting.

I have a personal interest in Summerfest, since I am in the 9th year of publishing a blues website (which ebbs and wanes as my time allows). http://bluesbaby.8k.com I was thrilled to get the "inside scoop" that Buddy Guy is coming to Summerfest and also inquired into a favorite band that has been missing the last 2 years after appearing for 10+ years faithfully at every Summerfest.

Not only did I speak with Vic but I took the opportunity to talk with Deb Lein at some length about her program as well since I did not see many employers there either. That would be the main downfall of the evening however it was not a "job fair".

I would hope that they offer a job fair at some point. Now I do agree that the People Power thing was a sales pitch, and the room was tight but for a beginning group I thought it went fairly smoothly and did offer some good ideas. I'm looking forward to the Resume Workshop on 2-26.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home